Description de poste
In a context of structural technological change, the International Initiative on Information and Democracy aims at bringing democratic guarantees to the global communication and information space.
This initiative is a structural response to the global information chaos that is threatening democracy, universal freedoms and the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It led to the publication of the International Declaration on Information & Democracy by an international Commission composed of Nobel laureates, journalists, activists and scholars and has resulted in two main outcomes :
- The endorsement of the International Partnership on Information and Democracy by 43 countries which defines the principles of the global communication and information space and calls structuring platforms to implement them. The Partnership was formally signed during the 74th UN General Assembly in September 2019.
- The creation of the Forum on Information and Democracy by 11 organisations from civil society to expand these principles and issue concrete recommendations for regulation and self-regulation.
The Forum on Information and Democracy is the implementing non-profit organization of the International Partnership for Information and Democracy. It is independent, represents different fields of expertise and continents and gathers various categories of stakeholders from governements, civil society, private sector and the media. It defines and facilitates international multi-disciplinary working groups composed of experts and scholars (Angel Gurria, Maria Ressa, Marietje Schaake, Shoshana Zuboff, etc.).
The Forum’s final objective is to issue recommendations and follow up on their implementation by different stakeholders (States, platforms, civil society, etc.).
As part of its development, the Forum is seeking for his future Executive Director:
- Leads the Forum's permanent team, ensures its development and retention of members
- Represents the Forum at international events and in the media
- Develops and manages the implementation of the Forum's communication strategy
- Is in charge of the Forum's ﬁnancing (soliciting donors and managing contacts)
- Ensures the administrative and ﬁnancial management of the organization
- Oversees all activities of the organization
- Promotes the Initiative as a whole to the Partnership's signatory states and to new states
- Coordinates the organization of the Summits for Information and Democracy
- Ensures and organizes the Forum's participation in international events and debates
- Leads the communication activities
- Ensures coordination with RSF teams on common issues
- 10 years of professional experience including internationally
- Mastery of areas related to the mandate of the Forum on Information and Democracy (technology, platform governance, media, legal, ...)
- Managerial skills
- Capacity for fundraising for civil society organizations
- Capacity for public relations, press relations, and communication
- Ability to organize high-level international events
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and, if possible, French